Friday, October 26, 2012

Greek Sculpture

I think greek statues are inspiring because like they said in the video, they are examples of a super human;more human than human. When we learned about Egypt I found that the gods like Anubis and Horace were super hybrid animals; aspects of the best qualites of that animal compiled into one. Its seems thats what the Greeks did with the human figure once they grew tired of making realistic statues they exaggerated the muscles for an ultimate althete-like god. They reached such a far realistic point compared with what they began with it makes me question what else would they have done after that? Also their progress changed so quickly I wonder what else besides observing help aid this progression? Were their tools getting more advanced? Maybe they sketched the human body and drew up plans before sculpting or did they just sculpt without them? The theme that exaggeration was hardwired in humans intrigued me.I think that holds true to even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment