Monday, November 19, 2012

Vezelay,Church and Hill

In this video when they first had shown the shot of the zoom out I was amazed at how the town stretched out in what looked like just a thick line of buildings embedded among green vegetation. In the Saint Magdalene church they have an arch which looks similar to a greek pediment, because it has sculptures in an arrow like shape, with the figures getting smaller on both left and right side. Finding out that the St. James shell is a symbol for pilgrimage was interesting because to me a shell is something I would not have known as meaning that. There seems to be a connection to all cultures with images having a significant meaning wheather obvious or not. Also one of my main questions is that of the Mary Magdalene relic; what would it have been. could it have been something that belonged to her or a part of her? I think I have heard from something that relics can be pieces of that person, like a finger or a tooth?

No comments:

Post a Comment